Places to Stalk me

Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go




Publisher: Candlewick Press
Series: Chaos Walking Book One
Edition: Paperback
Pages: 479
Rating: 4.5/5
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian




Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. 
But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?


Whew. That was some book!! 
So this book is another dystopian novel and I tend to eat those up pretty rapidly and this wasn't any different. This book was LOADED with humor, friendship, heartbreak, GORE, and mystery. It had everything that a great dystopian book needs to be successful; at least in my eyes. I remember looking on the back cover and it said ages 14+. Personally I think this should be 16+ AT LEAST.
This book definitely has a unique writing style and it something you have to get use to. It was a little frustrating to me at first and I didn't like it or understand why it was needed. The deeper you get into the story is when you realize that the writing NEEDED to be like that and I ended up loving it! The characters all had their own quirks. Todd was determined and a hero. Manchee was funny and had true love for his master Todd. I won't give out any other characters, but they all had things to love and hate about them. Some of them were downright scary! 


The only thing that held me back from giving this a full 5 stars is that some of the book was a bit confusing and was sometimes hard to follow, but once you get use to the writing style it flows perfectly. 


*This is exactly what I want out of a dystopian and I was not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment