Places to Stalk me

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Book Review: The Night Circus





Publisher:Doubleday
Series: Not a series
Edition: Hardcopy
Pages: 387
Rating: 5/5
Genre: Adult Fantasy 

*Bought*


The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 

Oh my freaking goodness. This book is one of a kind! 

I was a bit worried going into this since it has such a high amount of description vs. dialogue and I usually don't like books that have an overwhelming amount of description. This was more perfect that I could ever give it credit it for. 
I tend to read books really quickly since I get sucked into them and stay up until the wee hours of the night to read them. I did the opposite with this. It took me over a week to read this which is a little longer then normal but I think thats what this book needs. I was so consumed by this book that when I wasn't reading I was thinking about it and when I was reading, it would take a whole lot of distraction to pull me away. Erin Morgenstern has mastered an ability to tell you every single detail to the point that you not only saw the circus in your imagination, you could smell the carmel in the air, you could feel the wind pick around you as you walk from tent to tent. All of your senses will be used when you read this book.

I really suggest you read this VERY slowly. It is rather complex since there is so many point of views that are switched in the book and some time jumps. (Not by that much just a couple years here and there) What I did was make sure I read the dates on each chapter listed just so I can remember where the story left off from that date.

If you LOVE fantasy, you really need to check this out. It is definitely one of my favorites.

**If you want to see my immediate reaction after reading this book read my goodreads review here!**

3 comments:

  1. I've heard really mixed things about this book, seems like you either love it or hate but I am definitely excited to pick it up. I thought it would be one you really need to absorb to love, that's why I'm saving it til things are a little less hectic schedule wise so i'll really have the chance to appreciate it. if any of that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this because I've heard great things about this book. Your review just increased my anticipation more. :)

    Sarah,
    Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is engossing and well written, but could have beneftted from additional editng. The ending is unsatisfying and I felt bit ripped off. I would recommend as overall it.is an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete